Hartford Memorial Baptist Church


Hartford Memorial Baptist Church photo of Hartford Memorial Baptist Church
The Hartford Memorial congregation was the first African American church on Detroit's west side. It began, under Rev. Edgar Edwards (1875-1942), AS the International, Interracial, Interdenominational, Institutional Baptist Church in 1917. Under its second pastor, The Rev Charles A. Hill (1893-1970), it was incorporated in 1921 on Hartford Avenue. In 1924, it built a new church at 6300 Hartford, where it remained until 1972. The church, through its ministries, led civil and equal rights efforts to organize Ford Motor Company United Automobile Works, prevent exclusion of blacks from the World War II era Sojourner Truth Housing Project, and support the 1986 Dearborn economic Boycott.
 
 
Side 2
In 1877, Hartford Avenue Baptist Church moved into this building and took the name Hartford Memorial. When Covenant Baptist Church held the first worship services in the building on New Years Eve 1942, only the basement and entrances were complete due to World War II shortages. The sanctuary and two stories were added in 1950 and the north wing in 1962. Hartford remodeled the sanctuary in 1988 and added the large Petty-Madden pipe organ. The chapel was restored after a 1993 fire. Expanding its faith-based ministries, Hartford dedicated the Charles G. Adams Fellowship Hall in 1977, the Agape House in 1982, the Biblical Institute in 1989, and the Educational Center in 2010.

Registered Site L2268
Erected 2015

Location: 18700 James Couzens Fwy
Detroit, Wayne County

Topics:
Baptist Churches
Black History


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.4287035 W83.18338549
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2016 James Brennan. All rights reserved.