Duane Doty School


Duane Doty School
Duane Doty School opened its doors in the fall of 1909. It was built as Detroit grew north along Woodward Avenue in the first quarter of the twentieth century. The school was named for Duane Doty (c.1836-1902), an early superintendent of Detroit Public Schools and later of the Chicago schools. The building was designed by local firm Malcomson and Higginbotham, architects of many Detroit schools, in an Arts and Crafts style. Originally, the school housed kindergarten through eighth grade with space for up to 640 students. Enrollment peaked at 1,200 in 1960. Many students came from the nearby Boston Edison district. The school was expanded in 1921, and a gymnasium was added in 1928. It has been remodeled several times since its founding.
 

Registered Site L2250
Erected 2013

Location: 10225 3rd Street
Detroit, Wayne County

Topics:
Schools


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.386721632 W83.09211552
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2017 James Brennan. All rights reserved.