Wolcott Mill


Wolcott Mill photo of Wolcott Mill
Wolcott Mill is among the oldest mills in Michigan. Built in the mid 1840s by the Arad Freeman family, early Macomb County settlers. it passed through several owners before Frederick Wolcott purchased it in 1878. The Wolcott family upgraded the business as technology changed. in 1881 the breastshot waterwheel was replaced by a turbine. The millstones where changed to more efficient metal rollers in 1890, and again improved in 1917. Waterpower was used until the mill closed, but it was supplemented by electric power in the 1920s. Declining business caused the Wolcott family to sell the mill in 1967. The Huron-Clinton Metroparks acquired the mill in 1879 for use as an historic interpretive site.
 

Registered Site L2234
Erected 2012

Location: Wolcott Mill Metropark
Ray Twp, Macomb County

Topics:
Early Settlers


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.766765129 W82.92721867
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.