The Island / The Flamingo Club


The Island photo of The Island / The Flamingo Club
The Island, once accessible only by footbridges, was the center of life at Idlewild from the 1910s into the 1960s. Early advertisements for the resort desribed Island Park as having a beautiful bathing beach and a small "parlor" or clubhouse, on the east shore. Built in 1916, the parlor was the social hub. By 1923 the Idlewild Resort Company boasted in the Chicago Defender that the island had a dance pavilion, saddle horses, a new 62-room hotel, and a "cottage city" of 29 sleeping cottages. Locals called these "doghouses" due to their small size. During the 1930s and 1940s, entreprenuer Virgil Williams ran a hotel and nightclub here. Detroiter Phil Giles purchased them in the 1940s. For some 20 years Giles savvy marketing of Idlewild's nightlife drew audiences from the midwest and beyond.
 
 
a photo of The Island / The Flamingo Club The Flamingo Club
Detroit hotelier Phil Giles opened the Flamingo Club in 1955. A 1956 Chicago Defender article reported it was classed with the top nighteries in the nation. As early as the 1920s, resorters had many options for evening activities, including card parties and dances. By the 1930s the Islands clubhouse had been renovated as the Idelwild Club Casino. During the next thirty years venues like the Paradise Club and El Morocco featured top African American entertainers, including Sarah Vaughan, Jackie Wilson, and the Four Tops. Idlewilds club scene in the 1960s, in part because the Civil Rights Act of 1964, which provided equal access to employment and public places and expanded opportunities for black entertainers and audiences alike. The Flamingo closed by 1968.

Registered Site L2204
Erected 2009

Location: 1002 Martin Luther King Avenue
Idlewild, Lake County

Topics:
Black History


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N43.895920966 W85.78197956
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.