George W. Lee House


George W. Lee House photo of George W. Lee House
This c. 1846 Greek Revival house, among Howell's oldest, was the home to prominent citizen George W. Lee (1812-1882). Lee moved from New York State to Michigan in 1836. A bussinessman and public servant, Lee helped establish the Republican Party in 1854 and started the county's first newspaper, the Livingston Republican, in 1855. We was appointed quartermaster for Michigan during the Civil War,and later served as Indian Agent for the State.
 

Registered Site L2178
Erected 2007

Location: 404 S. Walnut St.
Howell, Livingston County

Topics:
Historic Homes


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.604589243 W83.93239259
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.