Sturges-Young Auditorium


Sturges-Young Auditorium photo of Sturges-Young Auditorium
The Sturges-Young Auditorium opened in 1955 to fanfare and celebration. The 986-seat multipurpose facility was much larger than would be expected for a small community like Sturgis. Spurred by private donations, the city began construction of the building in 1954. Fort Wayne architect A.M. Strauss provided the Modernist design. Major contributors included the building's namesakes Clara and Stella Sturges and Emma Young, each of whom stipulated in their wills that funds be used for the construction of a civic auditorium. The venue has hosted many famous musicians, comedians, and public figures. On March 22, 1974, bandleader Duke Ellington (1899-1974) gave his final performance here, two months before he died.
 

Registered Site L2169
Erected 2006

Location: 201 North Nottawa St
Sturgis, Saint Joseph County

Topics:
Theaters, Halls, and Arenas


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N41.801738809 W85.41858851
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.