Gugel Bridge


Gugel Bridge photo of Gugel Bridge
Built in 1904, this 204-foot-long bridge carried the Detroit and Saginaw Turnpike over the Cass River in Bridgeport Township. By around 1919 the pike, which became the well-traveled Dixie Highway, required a more substantial crossing and this bridge was replaced and relocated to this site. The bridge closed in 1979. William 'Tiny' Zehnder had the structure restored as a pedestrian bridge in 2004. The Gugel Bridge is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
 

As of 4/18/2016 this marker is reported as missing.

Registered Site L2168
Erected 2009

Location: Beyer Road at the Cass River
Frankenmuth Township, Saginaw County

Topics:
Bridges


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N43.328787348 W83.77628266
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2016 James Brennan. All rights reserved.