Port Huron Public Library


Port Huron Public Library photo of Port Huron Public Library
In 1902 the city of Port Huron secured money from philanthropist Andrew Carnegie to erect a municipal library. Two years later this grand, Beaux-Arts-style building was completed at a cost of $45,000. Chicago architects Patton and Miller designed the Indiana limestone-clad building. At its dedication in 1904, Melvil Dewey, creator of the book classification system that bears his name, delivered the opening address. The Port Huron Public Library served in its original capacity for over sixty years. In 1967 a larger public library was constructed. The following year the former library opened as the Port Huron Museum of Arts and History. A rear addition was constructed in 1988.
 

Port Huron Museum of Arts and History


Registered Site L2160
Erected 2006

Location: 1115 Sixth Street
Port Huron, Saint Clair County

Topics:
Museums
Public Buildings


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.972247 W82.426144
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.