Early St. Charles


Early St. Charles photo of Early St. Charles
In 1852 Hiram Davis built the first house in St. Charles here at "the forks" of the Bad River. The log house measured 18 by 26 feet. Only rough trails existed at the time so goods were transported by canoe or raft or pack. Davis helped build the Chesaning Rowad, which encourgaed settlement. The township was organized in the Davishouse in 1853 and named for lumberman and investor Charles Kimberly, who built the first store that year. By 1860 thriving St. Charles had 500 residents, 2 steam sawmills, 2 hotels, 4 general stores, 2 churches, district schools, and a library association. In 1912 Davis's daughter Sarah Davis Lytle recalled the first frame house, which had stood near their log home. She suggested that this site be named "Pioneer Park" and that a memorial or marker be erected.
 

Registered Site L2151
Erected 2005

Location: Lumberjack Park
St. Clarles, Saginaw County

Topics:
Early Settlers
Lumber Industry


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N43.299853241 W84.13870811
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.