Hardy Hydroelectric Plant


Hardy Hydroelectric Plant photo of Hardy Hydroelectric Plant
Constructed form1929 to 1931, on a site once known as the Oxbow, the Hardy Hydroelectric Plant was built by Consumers Power Company. The plant was named for George Hardy, a partner in the firm that financed Consumers' projects from 1911 through 1928. The complex includes a Spanish Colonial Revival-style powerhouse and intake tower, an oil house, and a dormitory. It originally included four operator's houses on the eastern bank of the pond, which were Sears-Roebuck kit homes. Due to advancements in fossil fuel steam generating plants, this was the last conventional hydroelectric plant built by Consumers. The Hardy plant in listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
 
 
Side 2
Flowing water has long provided power to mines and mills. With advances in electricity in the 1880s, waterpower was soon used to generate electricity. The first public demonstration of hydroelectric power in the country occurred on July 24, 1880, when sixteen carbon arc street lamps lit up Grand Rapids using a belt driven dynamo (generator) powered by a water turbine at the Wolverine Chair Factory. Michigan's extensive water resources were harnessed to power electric generating equipment, first at existing dams and mills and later at sites built expressly for hydroelectric generation. The electricity from these plants provided power for homes and businesses and helped fuel Michigan's growth as one of the nation's premier industrial states.

One of five markers for Consumers Power Dams
Cooke Hydroelectric Plant
Croton Hydroelectric Plant
Five Channels Dam Workers Camp
Hardy Hydroelectric Plant
Mio Hydroelectric Plant

Registered Site L2144
Erected 2005

Location: 6928 East Thirty-sixth Street
Big Prairie Township, Newaygo County

Topics
Business & Industry


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N43.485248 W85.624351
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2014 James Brennan. All rights reserved.