Swedish Evangelical Lutheran Church


Swedish Evangelical Lutheran Church photo of Swedish Evangelical Lutheran Church
In 1870 the Episcopal Diocese of Western Michigan,, the Grand Rapids aand Indiana, and the Evangelical Church of Sweden collaborated in promoting Swedish immigration to Michigan. Through the efforts of the Reverend Josiah Tustin of Grand Rapids, about one thousand Swedes immigrated to west Michigan by 1872. Many settled in New Bleking, present-day Tustin. In 1872 they organized St. Johannes' Episcopal Church. On April 4, 1874, the Lutherans originally belonging to the Church of Sweden formed the Swedish Evangelical Lutheran Church. This building dates from 1882. The pressed metal interior, installed in 1921, remains remarkably intact.
 

Registered Site L2136
Erected 2004

Location: 18499 Twenty Mile Rd.
Tustin, Osceola County

Topics:
Churches and Religious Buildings


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N44.10241 W85.45423
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.