Central Park Chapel


Central Park Chapel photo of Central Park Chapel
Located on rail and interurban lines linking the west Michigan shore with Chicago and Grand Rapids, Holland has long been a tourist destination. Beginning in the late nineteenth century, vacationers erected summer cottages at Central Park on the shores of Black Lake, present-day Lake Macatawa, Many of them, like the permanent residents were of Dutch descent and had strong religious beliefs. John R. Stryker hosted services on his porch until 1903 when the Central Park Chapel was built to serve interdenominational religious needs. Dr. John A. Otte, a medical missionary, led the construction of the chapel on land donated by Gerrit Zaalmink, Early services were held in Dutch as well as English. Because of the number of clergy who vacationed here, Central Park was known as "Saint's Rest."
 

Registered Site L2118a
Erected 2002

Location: 550 Grove Drive
Holland, Ottawa County

Topics:
Churches and Religious Buildings


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.775559 W86.159488
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.