Henderson Park West Main Hill Hist Dist


Henderson Park West Main Hill Hist Dist photo of Henderson Park West Main Hill Hist Dist
Frank Henderson, a Kalamazoo military regalia manaufacturer, platted the Henderson park neighborhood in 1888. Taking advantage of the topography, Henderson rejected a typical grid pattern in favor of curving, tree lined streets and deep setbacks found in the new, "naturalistic" suburbs of the East and Midwest. Henderson Park developed fully between 1910 and 1930, once automobiles became popular, and eased residents' commutes to the city's manufacturing and business centers. Now know as West Main Hill, the district exhibits a range of styles from modest bungalows to large Tudor and Colonial Revivals. Henderson Park is listed in the National Register of Hisstoric Places.
 

Registered Site L2104
Erected 2002

Location: Grand Ave. and Main St.
Kalamazoo, Kalamazoo County

Topics:
Historic Homes
Parks


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.2923062 W85.6044709
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.