Flint and Pere Marquette Depot


Flint and Pere Marquette Depot photo of Flint and Pere Marquette Depot
The first twenty-five miles of track for the Port Huron & Northwestern Railroad opened from Port Huron to Croswell in 1879. Marlette residents lured the railroad by raising $15,000 toward construction of the tracks. The line extended from Saginaw Junction in St. Clair County to Marlette in January 1881, and Marlette and Mayville line opened in the fall. The Flint & Pere Marquette purchased the Port Huron & Northwestern in 1889. Flint contractor E.M. Stewart built this depot in 1890 with a double waiting room, an office and a baggage room. The Marlette Historical Society bought the building in 1999.
 

Registered Site L2101
Erected 2002

Location: Between Depot and Main
Marlette, Sanilac County

Topics:
Transportation


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N43.32202 W83.07923
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.