Milk River Settlement


Milk River Settlement photo of Milk River Settlement
The strip of land at the mouth of the Milk River was named Point a Guignolet for a grape-link berry that the French fermented into brandy. It later became known as Gaukler Point. The 1702 map of Lac Sainte Claire, attributed to Detroit founder Antoine de la Mothe, Sieur de Cadillac, shows an Ottawa village near the Milk River. This is the earliest documented settlement at the point. As early as 1796 some thirty French families lived in the same vicinity. Well into the nineteenth century, the Milk River settlement was called L'Anse Creuse (Deep Bay). At one time part of Erin Township and later Lake Township, the community was incorporated as the village of St. Clair Shores in 1925 and became a city in 1951.
 

Registered Site L2100
Erected 2001

Location: West Side of Jefferson Ave at Milk River Bridge
St. Clair Shores, Macomb County

Topics:
Early Settlers


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.4544548 W82.8764820
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.