St.John the Baptist Church / Cemetery


St.John the Baptist Church photo of St.John the Baptist Church / Cemetery
Organized in 1855 to serve Irish Catholic immigrants, the parish of St.John the Baptist worshipped in a simple church on the Cowman farm until 1868. That year, the parish of seventy families built this church, which seated four hundred people. It was the largest church in Ionia County at that time. St. John's grew to include a cemetery (1884), a rectory (1907), a school (1917), aa convent (1927), which was razed in 1987 and a parish hall (1977).
 
 
a photo of St.John the Baptist Church / Cemetery St.John the Baptist Cemetery
Consecrated in 1884, St.John the Baptist Cemetery contains the graves of the Irish founders of the parish and their descendants. The burials date from 1875 and were moved from the original Catholic cemetery, located one mile west of here. The Roach, Welch, Hogan, Calahan and Connell families donated the land for the cemetery. At the entrance a shrine pays tribute to Father Eugene R. Fox, wwho served St. John's from 1938 to 1986.

Registered Site L2091
Erected 2001

Location: 324 S. Washington Rd
Hubbardston, Ionia County

Topics:
Catholic Churches


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N43.094055 W84.840014
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.