Carpenter - Rudd Mill


Carpenter - Rudd Mill photo of Carpenter - Rudd Mill
Joseph Jackson built one of the first sawmills in Orion Township on this site in 1825. During the nineteenth century the waters of Paint Creek powered machines that cut logs into boards and ground wheat into flour. In 1835, Powell Carpenter bought the mill and built a complex of three houses, a blacksmith shop, a cooper shop, a grist mill, and a school. In 1865 it was purchased by Robert G. Rudd and became known as Rudd's Mill. Farmers from a wide geographic area brought their wheat to the mill for grinding, Milling operations ceased and the buildings were demolished in 1926. The creek dam remained until 1946 when it washed out in a storm, flooding the creek all the way to Rochester. The concrete railroad bridge dates from 1924.
 

Registered Site L2087
Erected 2001

Location: Kern and Clarkston Roads
Orion Township, Oakland County

Topics:
Business & Industry
Early Settlers


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.7673046 W83.2187801
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.