Second Baptist Church


Second Baptist Church photo of Second Baptist Church
Calling themselves the Second Baptist Society, a small group of Battle Creek African Americans worshipped in their homes prior to 1849. That year, led by the Reverends Parmalee and Harris of the white First Baptist Church, they officially purchased a building from the Methodists. The Reverend J.W. Lackley was the first pastor. In 1930 the congregation incorporated as the Second Missionary Baptist Church.
 

Registered Site L2082
Erected 2000

Location: 485 N. Washington Street
Battle Creek, Calhoun County

Topics:
Baptist Churches
Black History


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.339693 W85.190379
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.