Franklin Cemetery


Franklin Cemetery photo of Franklin Cemetery
In 1827 Elijah Bullock one of the founders of Stoughton Bullock Settlement (renamed Franklin in 1828), set aside land for a burial ground. This parcel, known as the Old Plat, is in the southeast corner of the cemetery. The cemetery contains the remains of some of Franklins earliest settlers. Of the fifteen original landowners, four are buried here: Melvin Drake, Hiram Pike, William Stoughton, and Jonathon Worthing.
 
 
Side 2
Franklin Cemetery began as a one-acre burial ground in 1827. The first of six expansions occurred in 1848 when Benjamin and Charlotte Worthing donated an acre of farmland adjacent to the original cemetery. The Franklin Cemetery Society organized in 1852 to manage and maintain the burial ground. The cemetery displays typical nineteenth-century grave markers, including urns, obelisks, tree trunks, weeping willows, and benches.

Registered Site L2063
Erected 2006

Location: Franklin Road at Scenic
Franklin, Oakland County

Topics:
Cemeteries


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.522431249 W83.30649912
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.