First Congregational Church


First Congregational Church photo of First Congregational Church
On August 20, 1848, the Reverend James S. Kidder and nine members chartered the First Congregational Church of Wayne. Later that year, a Congregational society was formed. The two organizations worked as one body, but were separate, looking to the spiritual needs of its members and the society taking care of the secular matters associated with the church. The society owned the church property and took responsibility for its legal and financial interests. The church and society memberships were not always the same. In 1849 the society erected a Greek Revival meetinghouse on this site. destroyed by fire in 1970, it was replaced by the present building in 1973.
 

Registered Site L2053
Erected 1999

Location: Wayne Road at Main Street
Wayne, Wayne County

Topics:
Churches and Religious Buildings


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.2811765 W83.3840069
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.