Pere Marquette Railway Depot


Pere Marquette Railway Depot photo of Pere Marquette Railway Depot
Completed in 1923 for the Pere Marquette Railway, this depot is typical of the railroad stations that served Michigan towns during the early decades of the twentieth century. The depot replaced an earlier, wood frame station built during the 1880s when passenger service was introduced by the Detroit, Lansing, and Northern Railroad. By 1900 nineteen passenger trains passed through Belding each day except Sunday. Passenger service ceased in 1941. In 1994 the city of Belding purchased the building. With funds from the Michigan Department of Transportation, the city renovated the depot as offices. It is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
 

Registered Site L2050
Erected 2000

Location: 100 Depot St.
Belding, Ionia County

Topics:
Transportation


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N43.0973792 W85.2341008
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.