North Woodward Avenue Congregational Church

North Woodward Avenue Congregational Church North Woodward Avenue Congregational Church
North Woodward Avenue Congregational Church was built in stages between 1907 and 1929 in the Neo-Gothic style. When the city's population shifted as a result of the Great Depression of the 1930s and the influx of factory workers during World War II, much of the congregation's membership left the city. In 1953 it sold this building to St. John's Christian Methodist Episcopal Church. Organized in July 8, 1917, as St. John's Colored Methodist Episcopal Church, it was the first church of its denomination in Detroit and had several homes before becoming the first African American congregation to worship in Woodward Avenue's "Piety Hill."
 

Registered Site L2044
Erected 1999

Location: 8715 Woodward
Detroit, Wayne County


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.379778 W83.079668
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2012 James Brennan. All rights reserved.