Michigan Central Freighthouse


Michigan Central Freighthouse photo of Michigan Central Freighthouse
The Michigan Central Railroad (MCRR) came to Ypsilanti in 1838, transforming the farming community into a transportation center. This Italianate structure, built in 1878, increased the freight-handling capacity of the MCRR's Ypsilanti complex. Goods and produce were shipped across the U.S. and Canada. In 1979 the city acquired the building; opening it as a community center and farmers market the following year.
 

Registered Site L2029
Erected 2000

Location: 435 Market Place
Ypsilanti, Washtenaw County

Topics:
Transportation


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.246956 W83.610458
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.