Lewis E. Maire Elementary School


Lewis E. Maire Elementary School photo of Lewis E. Maire Elementary School
The Lewis Maire Elementary School opened on October 20, 1936. Designed by Detroit architects, H. August O'Dell and Wirt C. Rowland, the school reflects the English Gothic Revival style. Copper moldings and gutters, multi-paned windows and the steeply pitched gabled entrance typify Rowland's Gothic designs. The interior is distinguished by Pewabic tile fireplaces and fishponds The school's namesake, Lewis E. Maire, was a prominent ophthalmologist who served on the Grosse Pointe Boards of Education and Health as well as the village board of supervisors.
 

Registered Site L2008
Erected 1997

Location: 740 Cadieux
Grosse Pointe, Wayne County

Topics:
Schools


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.390483 W82.919525
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.