Defer Elementary School


Defer Elementary School photo of Defer Elementary School
In 1921, Rural Agricultural District No. 1 consolidated five fractional districts, bringing together students who previously met in five separate schoolhouses. Defer Elementary School, the first school built after the consolidation, was named for George Defer (1880 - 1927) who served as a village trustee and president and a state senator. Constructed in 1924 in the Tudor Revival style, the school was designed by Detroit architect George J. Haas and decorated with Pewabic ceramic tiles. In 1927 the neighborhood had grown and the school became overcrowded. In 1928 an addition, which included the conservatory, was built. Defer Elementary School is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
 

Registered Site L1995
Erected 2001

Location: 15425 Kercheval
Grosse Pointe Park, Wayne County

Topics:
Schools


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.382535 W82.937358
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.