First Congregational Church


First Congregational Church photo of First Congregational Church
Vermont Congregationalists organized a church in Sylvan Township in 1849. In 1852 the built the first church in the village, here on land donated by Chelsea founder Elisha Congdon. When that building burned in 1894, John Foster of Chelsea built the present church, designed by Grand Rapids architect Sidney J. Osgood. Dedicated the following year, the church reflects Romanesque and Italian design.
 

Registered Site L1956
Erected 1997

Location: 121 East Middle St.
Chelsea, Washtenaw County

Topics:
Churches and Religious Buildings


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.31819 W84.019828
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.