Carver Elementary School


Carver Elementary School photo of Carver Elementary School
During the early twentieth century, many African Americans migrated north to work in Detroit's automobile factories. Increased migration during World War II prompted Royal Oak Township's Clinton School District to split into two racially segregated districts. The new Carver School District and the George Washington Carver Elementary School, built in 1945, served black students. By 1960 the Carver District suffered a drop in tax revenue and could not support a high school. Because neighboring districts would not accept Carver's students, Governor G. Mennon Williams merged the Carver and Oak Park districts. The Carver school closed in 1982. Although much altered, the building is a reminder of "separate but equal" government policies that institutionalized segregation.
 

Registered Site L1953
Erected 1996

Location: 21272 Mendota
Royal Oak Township, Oakland County

Topics:
Black History
Governors
Schools


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.450311 W83.166089
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.