Manistee City Library


Manistee City Library photo of Manistee City Library
In 1885 a group of Manistee Ladies formed the Lakeside Club, whose primary goal was to create a library. In 1902 the club joined forces with the local literary society and successfully campaigned for a public library. The Andrew Carnegie Foundation funded the construction. The Manistee City Library opened in 1905. Designed by Port Huron architect George L. Harvey, the building, with its grand entrance pavilion, reflects Beaux Arts Classicism. The library is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
 

Registered Site L1950
Erected 1996

Location: 95 Maple
Manistee, Manistee County

Topics:
Public Buildings


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N44.246145 W86.32377
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.