Berston Field House


Berston Field House photo of Berston Field House
Berston Field House and Playground has served Flint citizens as an important recreational center since it opened in 1923. Designed by the Cambridge, Massachusetts, city planning firm of John Nolan, it was developed on land deeded to the city by members of the Neil J. Berston family in 1920. The field house contained an auditorium, a gymnasium, a swimming pool, community meeting rooms and a branch of the public library. At Berston people participated in sports, exercised, performed and learned new skills. During the mid-1930s, Berston became the first community center to admit African Americans living in the surrounding neighborhood. Berston Field House and Playground remains a significant part of the neighborhood.
 

Registered Site L1914
Erected 1994

Location: 3300 N. Saginaw St.
Flint, Genesee County

Topics:
Black History
Public Buildings


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N43.0462559 W83.6936920
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.