First Congregational Church


First Congregational Church photo of First Congregational Church
The First Congregational Church grew out of the evangelical movement that swept the country during the early nineteenth century. The congregation and its anti-slavery and temperance societies were organized in 1845. Temperance activities continued into the 1930s. Dedicated in 1894, this is the third building used for worship. In 1968 the church became the Olivet Congregational Church, United Church of Christ.
 
 
Side 2
When this church was dedicated on June 20, 1894, the Olivet Optic called it a monument to the "self-denial, self sacrifice and loyalty to the cause of religion" shown by the citizens of Olivet. Milwaukee architect Henry F. Starbuck designed the Ionia sandstone, Richardsonian Romanesque Church. The 3,000-pound bell was cast in Baltimore and George Androvette of Chicago provided the stained glass windows.

Registered Site L1913
Erected 1998

Location: College and East Streets
Olivet, Eaton County

Topics:
Churches and Religious Buildings


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.4420811 W84.9224281
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.