Huron Potawatomi Indian Village / Spring Arbor


Huron Potawatomi Indian Village photo of Huron Potawatomi Indian Village / Spring Arbor
As early as 1825 large numbers of Potawatomi encamped at this location. One of the most prominent Huron Potatwatomi located here was Wabkezhik (Whapcazeek), who was wounded during the 1811 Battle of Tippicanoe Creek when General William Henry Harrison's troops dispersed a concentration of Indians near present-day Lafayette, Indiana. At negotiations for the 1833 Chicago Treaty, Wabkezhik was one of many Michigan Potawatomi who opposed federal government resettlement plans.
 
 
Spring Arbor
White settlers arrived in Spring Arbor Township around 1831. In May 1835 Methodist deacon William Smith and Dr. Benjamin Packard platted the128-lot village of Spring Arbor on the site of a Potawatomi Indian settlement bounded by present-day South Cross and Hammond Roads. The men then established a Methodist seminary in the village. The panic of 1837 discouraged investment and led to the demise of the school. In 1839 Methodists moved the Seminary to Albion. In 1845 the present village was founded one mile north of here.

Registered Site L1910
Erected 1994

Location: cnr Hammond & South Cross Rd.
Spring Arbor Township, Jackson County

Topics:
Native Americans


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.1882423 W84.5780754
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.