Millington School District No.2


Millington School District No.2 photo of Millington School District No.2
In 1856 Millington's first school, a log building, was erected. Between 1866 and 1867 the number of school-age children doubled, and a frame school was built on land obtained from David Lane, owner of the town's first sawmill. In 1884 Millington citizens decided to build a modern brick building; however, public opinion was split on whether to locate the new school east or west of the Michigan Central Railroad tracks. An election was called to decide the issue. Local lore credits "east sider" Joe Gravell with driving his team of horses through the town calling voters to the polls. East side advocates won and the school was built on this site. Between 1947 and 1970 eighteen rural schools consolidated to form the Millington Community School District.
 

Registered Site L1907
Erected 1994

Location: Gleason Street at Millington Street
Millington, Tuscola County

Topics:
Schools


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N43.2812161 W83.5234576
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.