Southfield Centre


Southfield Centre photo of Southfield Centre
The Territorial Road (present-day 10 1/2 Mile Road) east of the Rouge River was Southfield Township's economic hub during the mid-nineteenth century. In 1831 Archibald Green, one of the township's earliest settlers, opened a blacksmith shop. In 1837 Ezekiel Sabin, built a gristmill along the river, inspiring entrepreneurs to establish businesses in Southfield Centre. Cornelius Lawrence opened a tavern, which became the Southfield Hotel, and Crawford's Corners Postmaster John Trowbridge moved his store and the post office here. In 1918 Henry Ford purchased the Sabin Mill site. The automobile magnate planned to join the factory and the farm by building hydropowered plants that would employ farmers during the winter. Southfield Centre's forty residents hoped that the plant would lead to economic growth. Ford never built the plant.
 

Registered Site L1893
Erected 1993

Location: 24350 Civic Center Dr.
Southfield, Oakland County

Topics:
Cities and Towns


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.4791693 W83.2840865
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.