Jacksonburg Public Square


Jacksonburg Public Square photo of Jacksonburg Public Square
On March 30, 1830, a commission appointed to choose Jackson County's seat of government reported "A territorial road, call the St. Joseph's road, was last winter laid... Where this road crosses the Grand river... a flourishing village is commenced." Named Jacksonburg, the village was surveyed and platted that year. Residents proclaimed the town the future site of the new state capital. The plat included a public square at the intersection of Jackson Street and the Territorial Road (present-day Michigan Avenue). By 1880s the square was a bustling business district comprising the county courthouse, the First Congregational Church and three commercial blocks, including the Blackwell Building, now known as the Old Post Office.
 

Registered Site L1852
Erected 1993

Location: Michigan Ave At Jackson
Jackson, Jackson County

Topics:
Cities and Towns


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.247783516 W84.40831303
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.