First Congregational Church


First Congregational Church photo of First Congregational Church
On January 11, 1860, eight years before Saugatuck was incorporated as a village, a council of area Congregational leaders met in the Pine Grove schoolhouse and organized a church. During the summer the congregation built a church on this site, which has been incorporated into the present building. It was the first church erected in the village. In 1861, Saugatuck citizens rallied here upon learning of the rebel firing on Fort Sumter and the outbreak of the Civil War.
 

Registered Site L1818
Erected 1992

Location: 296 Hoffman
Saugatuck, Allegan County

Topics:
Churches and Religious Buildings


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.656599 W86.203007
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.