First Congregational Church and Society


First Congregational Church and Society photo of First Congregational Church and Society
In 1840 thirteen people founded a Presbyterian congregation on the principles of opposition to slavery and "total abstinence from all intoxicating liquors as a beverage." It was the first church established in Owosso. In 1853 the congregation reorganized as the First Congregational Church and Society, but continued to meet in a schoolhouse where it had worshipped for thirteen years. Two years later a small brick and frame church was erected on this site. It was razed in 1891 and replaced with the present building. Constructed of fieldstones gathered from local farms, the church has stained-glass windows dedicated to Owosso pioneers. The Detroit firm of Malcolmson and Higginbotham designed this Neo-Roamanesque structure
 

Registered Site L1806
Erected 1995

Location: 327 N. Washington
Owosso, Shiawassee County

Topics:
Churches and Religious Buildings


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.99984 W84.170595
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.