Rochester Opera House


Rochester Opera House photo of Rochester Opera House
Built in 1890, the Opera House Block opened with the First National Bank and Norton Pharmacy on its ground floor. On November 7, 1890, a grand opening dance launched the upper-level opera house as Rochester's social and cultural center. Until 1933 plays, movies, lectures, dances, reunions, commencements - even boxing matches - filled the calendars, but never an opera. In 1987 this Richrdsonian-style landmark, with its sixteen-foot ceilings and stained glass windows was restored.
 

Registered Site L1756
Erected 1991

Location: SE Corner Main and Fourth St.
Rochester, Oakland County

Topics:
Theaters, Halls, and Arenas


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.680833 W83.133333
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.