Whitefish Township


Whitefish Township photo of Whitefish Township
In 1849 the Whitefish Point lighthouse was put into service. Soon after the township was organized in 1888, lumber towns such as Emerson and Shelldrake emerged at the mouth of the Tahquamenon and Shelldrake rivers. Paradise was established in 1925. In the 1920s lumbering declined and fires burned the cutover land, creating rich soil for blueberries. Cranberry and blueberry cultivation, as well as commercial fishing on Whitefish Bay sustained area's economy.
 

Registered Site L1733
Erected 1990

Location: M-123
Whitefish Township, Chippewa County

Topics:
Cities and Towns


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N46.6094740 W85.0376129
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.