Bethel Church


Bethel Church photo of Bethel Church
In 1840 the Reverend Frederich Schmid of Ann Arbor organized the Evangelical German Bethel Congregation in Freedom Township. Schmid, a missionary pastor originally from Basil, Switzerland, frequently traveled to the township and held services in the Kuebler District School, one mile east of here. In 1849, Johannes and Louis Strieter deeded one acre of land to the congregation. Church members built a log church on the lot where they worshipped until 1857 when a frame building replaced it. That church stood just west of here. The church served until 1909 when the present structure was dedicated. Services were conducted only in German until 1926 when English was introduced into the Sunday school. German services officially ended in 1955. Today, Bethel Church is a member of the United Church of Christ.
 
 
Side 2
This Gothic Revival-style church, designed and built by Charles A. Sauer and Company of Ann Arbor, was dedicated on December 18, 1909. The Manchester Enterprise boasted that it was "one of the most complete church edifices in the state." Earlier that year the congregation had agreed to build a new church of native granite. The church was constructed of fieldstone gathered by local farmers and then shaped, given a rock-face finish and laid by the masons in random ashlar form. The square belfry contains a 2,000-pound bell from the previous church, made by the Buckeye Bell Foundry in Cincinnati. The stained glass windows were made by the Detroit Stained Glass Company. In 1965 the education wing was constructed.

Registered Site L1666
Erected 1990

Location: 10425 Bethel Church Road
Freedom Township, Washtenaw County

Topics:
Churches and Religious Buildings


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.18134 W83.91348
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.