Michigan Dental Association


Michigan Dental Association photo of Michigan Dental Association
The Michigan Dental Association was organized on January 8, 1856, by fourteen dentists who met in Detroit at the office of Hiram Benedict and Lorain Christopher Whtting. According to the American Dental Association, it was the first state dental society in the country. At this meeting the dentists established bylaws and membership qualifications. One must be twenty-one, a practicing member of the profession, possess 'a good English education,' and have unexceptionable moral character. In the 1860s and 1870s the association advocated a dental school in the state. At this time few dentists received formal training. In 1875, after almost twenty years of effort, the state legislature appropriated money to establish a dental school at the University of Michigan.
 

Registered Site L1640
Erected 1989

Location: 230 North Washington
Lansing, Ingham County

Topics:
Clubs and Organizations


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.735072 W84.552196
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.