Pier Cove


Pier Cove photo of Pier Cove
Surveyed in 1839, the village of Pier Cove was once hailed as "the busiest port between St. Joseph and Muskegon." Before the Civil War, Pier Cove was a bustling community and a major point for lumber distribution, with ships departing daily carrying tanbark and cordwood to Chicago and Milwaukee. With the exhaustion of the lumber supply in the late 1880s, the fire of 1871 and the coming of the railroad, the sawmill was moved to Fennville and Pier Cove's prosperity diminished, In the 1880s, however fruit became a major shipping commodity. This site once overlooked the warehouse and two piers that revived the villages economy. In 1899 a freeze killed much of the local harvest and shipping at Pier Cove was reduced to passenger traffic Commercial activity ceased in 1917.
 

Registered Site L1628
Erected 1989

Location: 70th St Between 122nd Ave and 124th Ave
Saugatuck, Allegan County

Topics:
Cities and Towns


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.5857918 W86.2268829
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.