Villa Maria


Villa Maria photo of Villa Maria
Villa Maria was founded by the Sisters of the Good Shepherd in 1904 as a haven for destitute young women. Many girls came here seeking shelter from negligent or abusive families; in later years some were referred by social service agencies. Villa Maria's mission was not only to educate, but also to teach self-discipline and offer the women a new start. Residents learned a variety of skills so they could become independent. The home was first located on Bridge Street and moved to the present site in 1904. In 1985 it became a retirement center.
 

Registered Site L1603
Erected 1989

Location: 1315 Walker NW
Grand Rapids, Kent County

Topics:
Churches and Religious Buildings


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.983017 W85.700989
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.