Presque Isle Light Station


Presque Isle Light Station photo of Presque Isle Light Station
This lighthouse, built in 1870 by Orlando M. Poe, is one of three Great Lakes towers built from the same plans. It replaced the smaller 1840 harbor light. The conical brick tower rises 113 feet from a limestone foundation. The Third Order Fresnel lens was made by Henri LePaute of Paris. Patrick Garrity, the keeper of the harbor light, lit the lamp for the first time for the opening of the 1871 navigation season. Garrity served here until 1885 when he became keeper of the Harbor Range Lights. His wife, Mary, sons Thomas, Patrick and John, and daughter Anna all served as light keepers in this area. In 1890 a steam operated fog signal manufactured by Variety Iron Works of Cleveland, Ohio, was installed. The light was automated in 1970 by the U.S. Coast Guard.
 

Registered Site L1563
Erected 1991

Location: 4500 East Grand Lake Rd
Presque Isle, Presque Isle County

Topics:
Lighthouses


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N45.3595185 W83.4942483
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.