Ogaukawning Church


Ogaukawning Church photo of Ogaukawning Church
Established in 1847, the Ogaukawning Indian Mission, the first church in present-day Bay County, served Chippewa Indians at the nearby Kawkawlin settlement. First ministered by Methodist missionaries, it soon came under Indian trusteeship and still remains so. This site has been the social and religious center of the community since the 1840s. Several Indian pastors officiated at the Kawkawlin Mission, the last in 1947.
 

Registered Site L1526
Erected 1990

Location: Euclid Rd at Hidden Road
Kawkawlin, Bay County

Topics:
Churches and Religious Buildings


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N43.6463704 W83.9129143
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.