The Polar Bears


The Polar Bears photo of The Polar Bears
In the summer of 1918, President Woodrow Wilson, at the urging of Britain and France, sent an infantry regiment to north Russia to fight the Bolsheviks in hopes of persuading Russia to rejoin the war against Germany. The 339th Infantry Regiment with the first battalion of the 310th Engineers and the 337th Ambulance and Hospital Companies, arrived at Archangel, Russia on September 4, 1918. About 75 percent of the 5,500 Americans who made up the North Russian Expeditionary Forces were from Michigan; of those, a majority were from Detroit. The newspapers called them "Detroit's Own,"; they called themselves "Polar Bears." They marched on Belle Isle on July 4, 1919. Ninety-four of them were killed in action after the United States decided to withdraw from Russia but before Archangel's harbor thawed.
 
 
Side 2
In 1929 five former "Polar Bears" of the 339th Infantry Regiment returned to north Russia in an attempt to recover the bodies of fellow soldiers who had been killed in action or died of exposure ten years earlier. The group was selected by members of the Polar Bear Association under the auspices of the Veterans of Foreign Wars. The trip was sponsored by the federal government and the State of Michigan. The delegates recovered eight-six bodies. Fifty-six of these were buried on this site on May 30, 1930. The Polar Bear Monument was carved from white Georgia marble; the steps from black North Carolina granite. The black granite base symbolizes a fortress, and the cross and helmet denote war burial.

Registered Site L1516
Erected 1988

Location: White Chapel Cemetery, Square Lake @ Crooks
Troy, Oakland County

Topics:
Events


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.584397 W83.165164
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.