The Jira Payne House / The Smith-Kimball Family


The Jira Payne House photo of The Jira Payne House / The Smith-Kimball Family
This Greek Revival house was built around 1840 by Jira Payne, owner of the Atlas sawmill. The twin fluted Ionic columns, flanked by square Doric piers, were hand hewn from trees on this property. Emil Lorch, professor of architecture at the University of Michigan from 1906-1936, called the portico "one of the most monumental in Michigan." Owned by the George Pomeroy family from 1848 to 1858, the house, known as Pomeroy Hall was a center of social life in Clinton.
 
 
The Smith-Kimball Family
In 1862, John Smith, a Clinton merchant and community leader purchased this house where he lived until his death in 1886. Smith's son Edwin and daughter-in-law Euphenia resided here with their daughter Blanche and her husband, Leander W. Kimball. In 1891-1892 they remodeled extensively by adding second stories to the wings and stained-glass windows. After Leander Kimball died in 1955, Blanche donated the property to the residents of Clinton for use as a community center.

Registered Site L1503
Erected 1992

Location: 211 Tecumseh St.
Clinton, Lenawee County

Topics:
Historic Homes
Prominent People


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.071118 W83.971048
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.