Wixom Cemetery


Wixom Cemetery photo of Wixom Cemetery
The Wixom Cemetery has been in continuous use since 1838, when it was established as the South Commerce Burial Ground. The first burial however, that of an infant named Israel Barrett, occurred in 1835. Two hundred thirty-three of the graves date from the nineteenth century and contain the remains of most of Wixom's pioneers, including the Alonzo Sibley and Ahijah Wixom families. Alonzo Sibley donated the land for the cemetery, located across Maple Road from the Reverend Wire's home where funeral services were held in the parlor. The wrought-iron gate and fence along Wixom Road was erected in 1899. The sexton's shed was restored in 1981. It was constructed of cuspid block containing colored glass, a process used primarily between 1900 and 1930. The cemetery is presently owned and maintained by the city of Wixom.
 

Registered Site L1464
Erected 1989

Location: North Wixom Road North of West Maple Road
Wixom, Oakland County

Topics:
Cemeteries


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.53204 W83.53660
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.