Mill Race Historical Village


Mill Race Historical Village photo of Mill Race Historical Village
In 1827, John Miller built a grist mill on this site. The structure was replaced by Northville Mills in 1847. In 1919 mill owner Donald P. Yerkes sold the site to Henry Ford who razed the structure and built a valve factory across Griswold Street one year later. The factory was one of Ford's village industries, a group of rural plants that manufactured small automotive parts. The Ford Motor Company donated the land to the city of Northville in 1972 for use as a historical village.
 
 
Side 2
The Mill Race Historical Village was established in 1972 as a site for relocating buildings faced with demolition. That year the city of Northfield donated the New School Church to the Northville Historical Society and it was the first structure moved to this site.The society's focus has been the preservation and display of architectural styles and furnishings of the nineteenth century. The Gazebo and Hirsch Blacksmith Shop are reproduction buildings.

Registered Site L1427
Erected 1989

Location: Griswold Street
Northville, Wayne County

Topics:
Commercial Buildings


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.433163 W83.479933
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.