St. John's Episcopal Church


St. John's Episcopal Church photo of St. John
St. John's Episcopal parish, established in December 1858, served what was then a rural area of Detroit. Albert Jordan designed the original church (now St. John's Chapel), which was built in 1859. Henry Porter Baldwin, a former United States senator and future governor, donated the church lot and paid for the building. Two years later, Jordan and his partner James Anderson, by then Detroit's ranking church architects, designed the present Victorian Gothic church. Known as the Patriarch of Piety Hill, the limestone structure was constructed with a partial donation from Baldwin. The chancel was enlarged in 1892 and in 1936 the church and chapel (40 million pounds) were moved sixty feet eastward when Woodward Avenue was widened.
 

Photo Courtesy of Fr. Steven J. Kelly SSC, Rector, Saint John's Episcopal Church

Registered Site L1421
Erected 1988

Location: Woodward Avenue at Fisher Freeway
Detroit, Wayne County

Topics
Churches and Religious Buildings
Episcopal Churches
Governors


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.3394028 W83.0521935
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2014 James Brennan. All rights reserved.