Manchester Township Library / James A. Lynch House


Manchester Township Library photo of Manchester Township Library / James A. Lynch House
In 1838, one year after Michigan statehood, Manchester Township established its library, one of the first township libraries in Michigan. During the early years the township clerk maintained the collection. In 1900 the township decided to rent quarters for the library and hire a librarian. It was housed in various locations including the Mahrie Building on Adrian Street. In 1934 the township purchased the former James A. Lynch House as a permanent location.
 
 
James A. Lynch House
Junius Short constructed this house around 1867 for his eldest daughter, Elma (1844 - 1928), and his son-in-law. Dr. James A. Lynch (1837 - 1917), a physician shared ownership of a pharmacy with John D. Van Duyn. The wood-frame house's cube shape, bracketed cornice and segmental and round-arched windows reflect the Italianate style, popular in the 1870s. In 1934, Manchester Township purchased the house for $1,200 from the descendants of Junius Short for use as a library.

Registered Site L1384
Erected 1988

Location: 202 West Main
Manchester, Washtenaw County

Topics:
Public Buildings


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.148658 W84.041375
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.